Nearly two thirds of our body is made up of water. Everything from your brain to your skin needs water to function properly. It helps to regulate body temperature, flushes away waste from our bodies, and common complaints, including headaches can be solved by drinking a glass of water.
- Every time you have a cup of coffee, have a glass of water.
- Drink tea – that counts too.
- Always fill up your water bottle once it’s empty.
- Drink sparkling water (invest in a soda stream rather than buying it in plastic bottles).
- Always have water on the table at mealtimes and drink a glass before each meal.
- Drink a small glass of water every hour at work – set your timer to remind yourself.
- Add lots of ice to any drinks and smoothies.
- Drink a glass of water before you brush your teeth.
- If you think you feel hungry, try a glass of water instead.
- Add fruit (lemon, lime, watermelon or berries) or herbs such as mint and basil for a bit of sugar-free flavour.
Eat more water!
Lots of fruit and vegetables are also a great source of water, so if you make healthy choices, staying hydrated is even easier.
Lettuce: 96% water
Celery: 95% water
Zucchini: 95% water
Cabbage: 92% water
Tomatoes: 95% water
Spinach 93% water
Apples: 85% water
Mushrooms 92% water
Blueberries: 84% water
Most varieties of melon: 90% water