There are simple things you can do around your home to reduce your electricity bills.
6 simple ways to save:
- When you aren't using electrical equipment and appliances, turn them off at the wall as they still use power when they are on standby.
- Don't make your fridge too cold. Your fridge compartment should be below 5C and your freezer should be set between minus 15C and minus 18C. For every degree colder, your running costs can increase between 2-4%.
- If the sun is out, use your clothesline to dry your clothes rather than your tumble dryer; and if you do have to use the dryer, make sure you clean the lint filter after each load.
- Replace incandescent or halogen lights with energy-saving LED lights and remember to turn off lights when you are last to leave any room.
- Make sure your dishwasher and washing machine are both full before you turn them on.
- Make sure the seals on your electric oven are in good condition so the heat doesn't escape; and use your microwave when possible as they use far less energy than ovens.
You can also change to Synergy's Smart Home Plan by using less power at peak times.