Start with a cake covered in classic buttercream (buy ready-made from the supermarket or make your own).
- Add edible glitter for a cake that sparkles.
- Simply pile up fresh berries on top such as strawberries, raspberries and blueberries, with a dusting of icing sugar.
- Cover the entire cake with yummy gummy bears!
- Use a stencil to make a birthday number with sprinkles.
- Use different shaped cookie cutters to decorate your cake (for example chocolate flakes or sprinkles in a heart or star shape).
- Add chocolate dipped cherries or strawberries to the top.
- Pour over melted chocolate and let it drip down the sides.
No buttercream? Place a doyley or piece of lace over the cake and dust with icing sugar to leave a pretty pattern.