Hidden water leaks can cause damage to your home including mould growth and rot, and the longer they are left, the more damage will happen. Often, these leaks hide inside your walls and aren't discovered until damage has been done.
Here are 5 signs that you could have a water leak lurking in your home:
1. A build-up of mould or mildew: These thrive on moist, dark areas so a leaking pipe behind wall is a perfect spot for mould and mildew to take hold.
2. A musty smell: If you notice a musty smell, check your kitchen and bathroom cabinets for water puddles or interior damage.
3. Loose tiles in your kitchen, laundry or bathroom: Seeping water inside the wall can cause the tile adhesive to deteriorate.
4. Peeling wallpaper or bubbling paint on walls adjacent to a bathroom: Damp inside a wall will cause the wallpaper to loosen and the paint to come away.
5. An increase in your water bill: An unexpected rise in your water bill points to a leak.
- Check your water meter and record the numbers.
- Turn off all your taps
- Wait at least 2 hours
- Check your meter again. If you see a change in recorded water usage, you've discovered a hidden water leak.
If you find or suspect you have a water leak, call your local plumber to fix it and avoid major damage.