A rich and creamy dessert with ribbons of caramel swirling through the filling.
For the caramel
1 cup brown sugar
60g salted butter
½ cup cream
For the base
200g plain digestive or oatmeal biscuits
For the filling
200g white cooking chocolate
2 tsp gelatine powder
500g light cream cheese (room temperature)
100g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Make the caramel
- Place the sugar, butter and cream into a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Cook while stirring gently for 6-7 minutes until thickened.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
Prepare the base
- Blend the biscuits to a fine crumb in a food processor. Add the melted butter and blend again for a few seconds until combined.
- Line the base of a 22cm springform tin with baking paper and press the mix firmly into the base. Put in the fridge.
Make the filling
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave or in a heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering water. Set aside.
- Dissolve the gelatine powder in ¼ cup boiling water. Set aside.
- Whip the cream until light and fluffy. Set aside.
- Beat the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth. Beat in the dissolved gelatine, then the melted chocolate.
- Gently fold in the cream until just combined.
- Pour the filling into the prepared base.
- Randomly spoon blobs of caramel over the top of the filling. Using a flat-bladed knife, gently pull the caramel through the filling in all directions. Don’t overdo it, you’re aiming for a random finish.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 3 hours or overnight. Run a sharp knife around the edge of the cheesecake before unclasping the tin
Try a different swirly topping
If caramel's not your thing, you can make this into a berry swirl cheesecake instead.
Puree 1 cup of fresh or frozen berries in a blender (any berries will do - just pick your favourites).
Push through a sieve to extract the deeds and discard them.
Add 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and stir until sugar dissolves.
Swirl through the cheesecake in place of the caramel.
Serve topped with whole berries.