If you have decided to have a lazy weekend and stay at home:
- Make Easter biscuits with this easy shortcut– get the kids to help decorate milk arrowroot (or any other plain biscuits) with icing and simple colourful toppings to make them look like Easter eggs. Put them into bags or a container and give them to family and friends.
- Make some hot cross buns and share them with your neighbours. See our Recipe for easy-peasy overnight hot cross buns.
- Get together with a group of friends and/or family and have an Easter bonnet challenge – best hat wins a prize! Everyone could make their hats at home and bring them along or you could provide hat-making bits and pieces and see what everyone can come up with!
- Make Easter cards with the kids and give them to your neighbours. This would be particularly nice for those who don’t have any family nearby.
- Make some popcorn and watch a movie together from a streaming service or your own collection of DVDs. Get out the beanbags and cushions and decide on a movie. If you can’t agree – write down the names of the films on pieces of paper and have a lucky dip.
- Have a picnic in the garden.
- Camp out at home – pitch the tent in the backyard for the long weekend – all the fun of camping without having to pack up the car!
If you want to get out and about, you could:
- Visit the art gallery and WA Museum (closed Good Friday)
- Take yourself on a street art walking tour – there is so much fabulous street art popping up in the city and our suburbs.
- Spend the afternoon having a picnic in Kings Park or on the Perth foreshore.
- Take a walk around a section of the river you have never explored before.
- Go to the beach and watch the sunset (add some fish and chips and dinner is sorted!).
- You could even create a scavenger hunt in an around your neighbourhood. Make a list of items that everyone must find or photograph (such as a ‘For Sale’ sign or a certain type of tree). Make up teams of two people or more depending on how many are taking part.
Also check out your local council website to see if there are any free or low-cost organised events in your area. Enjoy the extra-long weekend!