Geocaching – the modern equivalent of a treasure hunt
Geocaching is fun for both kids and adults alike, making it the perfect outdoor activity for all ages. It combines the excitement of a treasure hunt, with outdoor fun, exercise and technology. Caches are always hidden in plain sight and never buried – but they are cleverly camouflaged.
Geocaching in 8 easy steps
- Go to www.geocaching.com and register for a free account.
- Click on ‘Hide & Seek a Cache’.
- Enter a postcode or address and click ‘Search’.
- Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name.
- Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS.
- Use your GPS to help you find the hidden geocache.
- Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location.
- Share your stories and photos online
You can download the official Geocaching® app on your smartphone and it will do all the work (except the finding) for you.
A few tips if you’re new to geocaching
- Select an appropriate geocache: 1 is the easiest and 5 is the most difficult.
- Take extra batteries or portable chargers for your smartphone or GPS
- Read the description and don’t forget the hints
- Invite family, friends and take the dog to share the experience with you.
- If you take something from the cache, leave something of equal or greater value.
- Write about your experience in the logbook.
- Log photos and finds at geocaching.com.
- Always leave the cache and environment as you found it.
- You can also set up your own geocache and see how many people find it.
- Most importantly, have fun!