Lots of older kids have lost their part-time or casual jobs because of the COVID-19 event and are probably looking for ways to earn a bit of extra pocket money – so it’s a win-win situation!
- Start by asking their parents if this is something they would like to do.
- Agree on a length of time to do the job and what you will pay them - a fixed rate often works better for children
- Make sure they have all the equipment they need including gloves, rakes and somewhere to put the leaves
- Be clear about the task you would like them to complete
4 reasons why it’s not a good idea to leave leaves lying around in your garden for a long time
- Pests such as rodents, slugs and spiders, find leaf piles a great place to set up home!
- If leaves aren’t removed from your lawn the grass underneath can die and you’ll have bare patches in the spring.
- Leaves left on paths and hard surfaces can become slippery when wet and dangerous to walk on.
- They blow all over your neighbour’s garden and that’s not very neighbourly!