How to save time doing your ironing. Yay!
While there are some people who love ironing, most of us find it a bit of a chore! Here are 8 easy tips to reduce the time it takes so you can spend that time doing something else instead.
- When you are drying your clothes in the tumble dryer, pull them out as soon as it stops and put your clothes straight onto a hanger. This will stop them from developing too many creases and make them easier to iron.
- Place aluminium foil between the item you are ironing and your ironing board (shiny side up). This reflects the heat of your iron, so you are effectively ironing both sides at once!
- If line drying, hang freshly washed shirts and other hard-to iron items on hangers while still damp. This will help a few wrinkles to relax and make ironing easier.
- Instead of trying to negotiate your way around shirt buttons, flip it over so it is button-side down.
- Hang wrinkled clothes in the bathroom while you have a hot shower. The steam from the shower will relax the wrinkles so ironing will be faster (or not needed at all!).
- If you need to smooth out a few items of clothing that are only lightly wrinkled, skip the iron completely and use your dryer! Lightly spray everything with water and put them into the dryer. The heat will turn the water on your clothes into steam and the wrinkles will fall straight out! Alternatively, put a couple of ice cubes into the dryer with your clothes for the same result.
- Ironing pleats can be a bit of a nightmare, so use bobby pins to keep them in place and make this job much easier.
- Make your own wrinkle release spray!
Place one cup of water, 1 tsp of fabric softener and 1 tsp of isopropyl alcohol in an empty spray bottle and shake to combine. Put your clothing on a hanger and spray all over until just damp. Gently pull into shape and allow to dry.