Socialising with your local community has many health benefits and could help you to live a healthier, happier life. Not only that but being social and supportive to others mean they benefit too!
9 benefits of staying connected with your neighbours
- You find out what’s happening in and around your community.
- Your neighbourhood becomes safer when everyone looks out for each other.
- Being friends with your neighbours can reduce your stress levels.
- In the event of an emergency, there will be someone close to call upon.
- Your social circle expands.
- If you go away, you can ask your neighbour to empty your mailbox or put out your bins.
- There will always be someone to keep an eye on your home.
- You can leave a key with a neighbour in case you lock yourself out.
- You never know when you might need to borrow that cup of sugar!
7 ways to have a neighbourly catch up
- Keep it simple and invite them around for a cuppa (and some homemade treats!)
- Organise a lunch with a few of your neighbours where everyone brings something along to share.
- If you have children of the same age, arrange a play date.
- Suggest a family day out at the park.
- You could walk your dogs together.
- If you have a shared interest (such as tennis or golf) plan a game together.
- Organise dinner and drinks