Lemony Fruit Slice
1 cup caster sugar
1 cup mixed dried fruit and nuts*
1 cup plain flour
5 tbsp icing sugar
1 tsp melted butter
½ lemon (zest and juice only)
*Use any dried fruit and nuts you have available, such as apricots, dates, crystallised ginger, cranberries, sultanas, pecans and almonds. Cut the nuts, ginger and larger fruits into small pieces. Packet mixed fruit can be used just as it is.
- Pre-heat oven to 170°C and line the bottom of a flat slice tin.
- Place the butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat, using an electric mixer or a wooden spoon, until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and mix in the fruit and nuts.
- Add the flour and stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to the slice tin and spread evenly.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the top is browned evenly. Remove and allow the slice to cool in the tin.
- Combine the icing sugar with the melted butter, lemon juice and zest. Whisk until smooth.
- Spread the lemony icing over the cooled slice and allow it to set before cutting the slice into fingers.
Raspberry Coconut Slice
Another great slice recipe. You can try it with marmalade instead of raspberry jam for a different flavour.
1 cup sugar
1½ cups self-raising flour
½ cup of raspberry jam
½ cup desiccated coconut
1 cup sugar
1. Cream butter together sugar.
2. Mix in eggs and self-raising flour.
3. Press into a greased and lined lamington tin.
4. Spread raspberry jam over the top (don't worry if some of the jam starts to sink into the base)
Add the top layer:
5. Beat together egg with desiccated coconut sugar.
6. Sprinkle evenly over the jam layer.
7. Bake 30-40 minutes at 180° C
8. Remove from oven and allow to cool in tin before cutting into slices.