All-purpose cleaner recipe
- 4 cups hot water
- Quarter cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons bi-carb soda
- Juice of half a lemon (strained)
Place all the ingredients together in a large jug or bowl. Let it sit and cool down then pour into a spray bottle using a funnel. To use, give the bottle a good shake, then spray surface and wipe clean with a damp cloth.
Vinegar, bi-carb soda and lemon can also be used in a variety of ways, combined or by themselves. Here are three uses for each:
More uses for vinegar
- A 50/50 vinegar-water mixture can help to deodorise surfaces.
- To clean your microwave, mix one cup of vinegar and one cup of water in a bowl and microwave on high for about 10 minutes. Stains and dried food should then wipe away easily.
- Put one cup of vinegar in the bottom of your dishwasher before you switch it on and your glassware will come out sparkling clean.
More uses for bi-carb soda
- Remove stains from coffee and tea mugs by filling them with one part bi-carb soda and two parts water. Let them sit overnight then scrub and rinse in the morning.
- Sprinkle bi-carb soda over the burnt areas of your pots and pans. Add hot water, allow to sit overnight and then scrub.
- Keep an open box of bi-carb soda in the fridge to eliminate odours.
More uses for lemons
- Shine chrome taps with a cut lemon dipped in salt and then wipe with a dry cloth
- Diluted lemon juice can remove cooking odours from your hands
- Pour half a cup of lemon juice into the toilet and swish with toilet brush for a fresh-smelling loo.