Minor accident? Don’t lose your no claims status!
Has your car had a run in with a shopping trolley at your local supermarket car park? Don’t risk your insurance premium going up next year because you have made a claim.
If you’ve had a bit of a bingle such as backing into a pole you just didn’t see, or chips and scratches from car keys, or careless drivers opening their car doors - you have a decision to make. Do you claim for repairs through your insurance company, or do you pay to have it repaired privately?
Here are 5 things to consider:
- One of the best ways of reducing your car insurance costs is to build up your ‘no claims discount’ by not making a claim. The longer you drive without making a claim, the bigger your discount will get.
- Often small dings, dents, chips and scratches can be fixed at a cost that would be lower than your insurance excess.
- Even if the cost is more than your excess, you should take into consideration the rising cost of your insurance premium because you’ve made a claim.
- Private repairs are often completed much faster and you can choose your own repairer.
- Before you decide what to do, have a chat with your local car panel and paint repairs business who will be able let you know how much repairs will cost and then you can decide whether to repair your car privately or make a claim.