Gold, sterling silver and gemstone jewellery
- Soak your rings, bracelets and necklaces in warm water with some gentle soap liquid such as soap for woollens, dish or hand soap.
- Make sure the soap doesn’t contain any moisturiser or harsh chemicals.
- Brush gently with a soft toothbrush and then rinse.
- Once it's clean make sure you dry it quickly but gently on a clean, soft cloth.
- Sterling silver will tarnish over time, which is quite normal. This will require a special precious metal cleaning cloth to remove the tarnish. When you’re happy with the clean, rinse and dry with a clean, soft cloth.
- Most importantly, always avoid harsh cleaning.
- Never use cleaning tips involving toothpaste or baking soda which is rubbed onto the metal. This will remove tiny amounts of metal every time you do it and over time it will damage your precious jewellery
When clean, store your jewellery away from flowing air, such as in a pouch or jewellery box. It will prevent dust from gathering and can also slow down tarnish.
Your local jeweller may also offer a jewellery cleaning service, where you can be sure it will be in safe hands.