Sitting by an open fire is many people's idea of a perfect winter evening, and let’s face it, who doesn’t love a toasted marshmallow! But there are even more good reasons for doing this. It’s a great way to connect, socialise and relax, but it has unexpected additional benefits too.
A study from the University of Alabama has shown that sitting next to a log fire can cause blood pressure to lower, improve mood and even make us more sociable. The longer the study participants watched a fire, the more relaxed they became.
Gathering around a fire is a fun and easy social activity for people of all ages. Obviously, there are some rules you have to follow when you are making a fire, especially when there are children around.
- Use level ground
- Keep at least 3 metres away from plants/other flammable objects
- Keep a bucket of sand or hose nearby in case of emergency
- Don’t use a wood-burning fire pit on a deck
- Educate your family, especially kids, about fire safety
- Stick to your local fire safety laws
Try this classic S’mores recipe
S’mores are a delicious campfire treat popular in the United States and perfect for using your toasted marshmallows. You will need:
- Wheatmeal or digestive biscuits
- Chocolate – dark or milk, whichever you prefer
Toast your marshmallows over the fire and then sandwich together with the chocolate and biscuits for a gooey, delicious treat.
You could also use chocolate digestive biscuits and then you won’t need the extra chocolate (or have double chocolate for a super-special treat!)