9 signs you need a hearing check
It may be genetic, or you listened to too much loud music when you were younger, but hearing loss is a common complaint. The good news is that something can be done, but only if you admit you are struggling a bit!
Here are some signs to look out for:
- You are experiencing a ringing or high-pitched squeal in your ears.
- You are speaking loudly when you don’t need to.
- You are constantly asking people to repeat what they have just said.
- You find it hard to hear conversations, especially if there is background noise. People with hearing loss often have problems masking out background noise and focusing on speech.
- Your family is complaining that the volume on your TV is too loud (and if your neighbours are complaining, you definitely need a hearing test!).
- You have the volume on your phone on the maximum setting.
- You have trouble following a conversation when more than one person is talking at the same time.
- You mishear what people have said – which can be confusing and even embarrassing!
- You have become a little unsteady on your feet. Our senses work together and being able to hear what is going on around you helps you to keep your balance.
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, see your doctor who may recommend a hearing test.