Viruses can corrupt data, delete files and gain access to your personal information. These are usually hidden in programs that are downloaded from the internet and can be tricky to get rid of, unless you know what you are doing.
Here are some signs your computer may be infected:
- Friends receive messages you didn't send
- Your computer keeps crashing
- Your computer is running slowly or freezing
- Pop-up messages that appear out of nowhere and are hard to remove
- Unrecognized computer programs launching on their own
- The sound of the hard drive in constant action
If you try and remove viruses yourself, you could void your computer warranty, and lose important information stored on your computer. It's always best to call in a computer expert for this one.