Get your supplies ready
- To make your life easier, utilise what is on the supermarket shelves such as choc chips and lollies for eyes.
- Have plenty of chocolate, orange and white coloured icing, fondant icing or frosting.
- Make your own Halloween sprinkles blend using chocolate, white and orange sprinkles.
Often, it’s the simplest ideas that turn out the best
- A chocolate biscuit cut in half makes great bat wings.
- Use strips of white fondant icing with eyes for a mummy.
- A swirl of vanilla icing with a couple of chocolate chips for eyes makes a scary ghost.
- Or drape small squares of white fondant icing over cupcakes for more easy ghosts.
- To make an easy spider cupcake, top with chocolate icing, use white choc chips for eyes and liquorice for legs.
- Simple orange coloured icing or frosting with chocolate sprinkles is as easy as it gets.
- Using natural food colouring, paint zombie faces onto marshmallows and put on top of a cupcake - or just eat them as they are.
Basic cupcake recipe
- 125g unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
Put all the ingredients in a bowl and beat together until everything is combined and the mixture is smooth, light and has turned a lighter colour.
Divide the mixture evenly between 2 x 12-hole cupcake tins lined with paper cases and bake for approximately 20 minutes at 180C.
Allow to cool completely on a wire rack before decorating.