Christmas wrapping rubbish

How to recycle your Christmas rubbish

The festive season is a huge generator or rubbish, some of which can be recycled and some which can’t. Here’s how to get your recycling right!

December 10, 2020

Can be recycled

  • Cardboard & paper wrapping (can have sticky tape attached)
  • Christmas cards & envelopes (no glitter or metallic/plastic finishes)
  • Rigid plastic cups & glasses
  • Glass bottles & jars even if they are broken (lids removed)
  • Aluminium & steel cans
  • Clean, aluminium disposable baking trays & foil
  • Bubble wrap, cellophane wrapping & clean plastic wrap – Recycle at your local supermarket
  • Don’t forget about the Containers for Change scheme where you can make money from your empty containers!

Cannot be recycled

  • Shiny, metallic or glittery gift wrap/bags/tags & cards
  • Ribbons & bows
  • Plastic/bamboo cutlery & plates
  • Plastic packaging from toys, or broken plastic toys
  • Tissues, tissue paper, kitchen paper & napkins – these items are usually made from recycled products and cannot be recycled again.
  • Champagne & wine corks
  • Tinsel & Christmas baubles
  • Broken ceramics such as plates & cups
  • Plastic meat trays – even if they are clean, they are a contamination risk.

How to dispose of your Christmas tree

Whether you choose an artificial tree or a living tree at Christmas – here’s what you can do with them.


  • Small Christmas trees can be cut up and placed in your general waste bin or your FOGO/Garden Organics bin if you have one.
  • They can also be collected through your local council’s bulk garden service. Contact your local council for more information.


  • Artificial trees are not recyclable, so try and buy a good quality tree to start with, so it will last for years.
  • If you fancy a change, but the tree is in good condition, donate it to an op shop or give it away to someone who needs it.
  • When it has finally reached the end of its life, Christmas trees can be collected by your local council’s bulk waste service. Contact your local council for more information.

Back arrow white