Join your local library and save!
Public libraries have come a long way over the years; these days they offer a treasure trove of resources, and most of it is free.
Have you checked out your local library lately? You’ll be in for a pleasant surprise with everything that’s on offer and save lots of money from borrowing items rather than buying them. There is something for all ages and if you can’t get to the library, in some areas, they will come to you.
Along with the traditional library resources, other services may include:
- Public computers
- Online language learning & computer training
- Research & study resources
- West Australian digital archives (including resources to research your family tree)
- eBooks, eAudiobooks & eMagazines
- Video streaming – including indie films, classic cinema, festival & educational documentaries & online movies.
- DVDs, CDs, toys, puzzles, board games, foreign language materials, magazines & newspapers.
- Events & guest speakers
Some libraries even have a special book club range with a large selection of books where you can borrow multiple copies of the same book, for your book club.
You can also book a librarian at some libraries to help with things such as:
- Computer basics
- Basic internet searching
- Using the library catalogue
- Homework research help
- Setting up a free email account
- Basic iPad and tablet help
Resources for kids include:
- Busy Things – an online resource for the early years
- Story Box Library – favourite stories read aloud by the best storytellers
- A range of interesting and fun school holiday programs
To use most of these services all you need is a library card and as a bonus (as if you need one with all the money you’ll save!) you don’t have to create a permanent storage space for everything, you just give it back when you’re done!