We love them to bits, but pets can leave your carpets a bit smelly
We all love our pets, but the smells and stains they can sometimes leave on the carpet aren't so loveable. The key to success is fast action!
No matter how well trained your cat or dog is, they can all have accidents from time to time.
Try this method using natural ingredients
You'll need white vinegar, baking soda, a clean cloth and lukewarm water.
- If the stain is wet, blot any excess liquid with a cloth or kitchen paper. If the stain is already dry, dampen the cloth slightly and gently pat the stain.
- Apply equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle.
- Keep patting until the stain has lifted (never scrub or this will push the stain deeper into your carpet).
- Sprinkle the baking soda over the top of the damp area, work in gently and allow to dry.
- Vacuum the area thoroughly.
- Repeat as necessary for particularly stubborn stains.
You can reduce general pet smells by keeping your home well-ventilated and vacuuming your carpet regularly. You can also sprinkle baking soda over your carpet as a general freshener before vacuuming. Doing this, along with a deep clean by a professional carpet cleaner at least once a year should help to keep your carpet odour-free and in good condition for many years.