Chilli Tomato Chutney
Make this as hot or as mild as you like by changing the variety of chilli you use. Add bird's eye chillies for a hot chutney, or long red chillies for a mild flavour.
Ingredients (makes three 250ml jars)
2 tbs olive oil
500g red onions
3 cloves garlic
5cm piece ginger
1 kg ripe tomatoes
200g brown sugar
150 ml red wine vinegar
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic and ginger and fry gently for 5-6 minutes until softened.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar and vinegar and simmer for around 30 minutes.
- Use a masher to gently compress the tomatoes in the pan. This will release more liquid which should be reduced until thickened.
- Pour the chutney into sterilised jars. Makes three 250ml jars.