Cinnamon & Walnut Nutty Apple Cake
Tender and moist cake with pops of apple and a crunchy walnut topping. The perfect yummy treat for a winter’s day (or any day!).
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cups self-raising flour
3 apples, peeled, cored, and diced
Cinnamon walnut topping
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
3 tbs butter, melted
- Preheat oven 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease and line the bottom of a 22cm springform pan.
- Beat eggs and sugar together over high speed until very pale and creamy. In a small bowl whisk together the sour cream, oil and vanilla and pour gently into the into the egg mixture.
- Add the cinnamon and flour and mix on lowest speed until just combined.
- Gently fold the apples into the mixture and pour into the prepared tin. (Tip: dust the diced apples with a little flour before adding to the batter – this will stop them sinking)
- Stir the cinnamon topping ingredients together and sprinkle evenly over the top of the cake batter.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes (check after 30 minutes and if the top is nicely browned, cover it with foil to prevent further browning).
- Allow the cake to cool completely before releasing it from the tin.