200g almond meal
200g caster sugar
3 large eggs (whites only)
1 tsp almond essence
1 cup icing sugar, to coat
1. Combine the almond meal and caster sugar together in a large bowl.
2. Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form.
3. Fold the almond meal mixture into the egg whites, a little at a time, adding the almond essence as you go.
4. Cover the bowl and allow the mixture to rest for 1-2 hours in the fridge.
5. Preheat the oven to 170°C and line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
6. Place a little icing sugar in a small bowl.
7. Roll the mixture into balls (about 20g each), then roll each ball around in the icing sugar before arranging on the baking trays.
8. Bake for 15 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.