Makes 2 small rectangular tarts
1 sheet puff pastry, just thawed
75g softened butter
75g caster sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg whisked
100g almond meal
1 nectarine, sliced into 12 wedges
1 egg whisked (for glazing)
Preheat oven to 180c and line a baking tray with baking paper.
Prepare the frangipane
1. Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Gradually add the egg, a little at a time, beating thoroughly into the butter and sugar until it’s thoroughly combined.
3. Fold in the almond meal and set aside.
4. Cut the sheet of puff pastry in half, making 2 rectangles.
5. Score a border about 1cm in from the edges using a small sharp knife. This will help the edges rise and keep the filling in place.
6. Prick the inner rectangles with a fork.
7. Divide the frangipane mixture between the 2 sheets of puff pastry and spread evenly to the scored border.
8. The mixture should be about 5mm thick.
9. Arrange the nectarine slices in rows on top of the frangipane.
10. Brush the edge of the pastry with egg then place in pre-heated oven (180c).
11. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until they have risen and are golden brown.
12. Allow tarts to cool on the baking tray.
Tip - brush with warmed apricot jam or marmalade while the tarts are still hot to give them a lovely glazed finish. Enjoy!