Hot Cross Bun Fruity French Toast
This is great to use up any leftover hot cross buns (if there’s no such thing as leftover hot cross buns in your house, grab some more – this recipe is well worth it!).
As if hot cross buns aren’t delicious enough, this recipe takes them to the next level! A combination of hot cross buns, berries, and French toast – perfect for a family Easter breakfast or brunch.
- 150g mixed frozen berries (your choice)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 6 hot cross buns
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 40ml skimmed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp sunflower spread (or butter)
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 4.
- Mix the berries with 1.5 tbsp maple syrup.
- Cut a slit into one side of each hot cross bun to make a pocket and divide the berries between them.
- Mix the eggs, milk, vanilla, ½ tbsp maple syrup and cinnamon together, then carefully soak each side of the hot cross bun in the mixture.
- Melt the spread in a medium frying pan over a medium heat and fry the hot cross buns for a minute on each side until golden.
- Transfer them to a baking try and bake for 8-10 minutes until they are piping hot in the middle. Drizzle with the remaining maple syrup, dust with icing sugar and serve warm.
Fancy making your own hot cross buns? Try our easy peasy recipe: Overnight Hot Cross Buns.