500g lamb mince
1 cup breadcrumbs
2c loves garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil
1 brown onion, finely diced
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground ginger
2 cups beef stock
400g tin chopped tomatoes
12 pitted dates, roughly chopped
200g baby spinach
To serve: Greek yoghurt, coriander and pine nuts
- Combine lamb mince, breadcrumbs, egg, garlic and salt in a large bowl. Roll tablespoons of the mixture into balls (about 30g each).
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, fry batches of the meatballs in a little olive oil for 4-5 minutes, until browned all over. Set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric and ginger. Stir, then add the stock, tinned tomato and dates.
- Return meatballs to the pan and bring to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally, until meatballs are cooked through and the sauce thickens slightly. Add the spinach right before serving and stir until it just wilts. Top with Greek yoghurt, fresh coriander and pine nuts, to taste.
- Serve alongside your favourite steamed or roasted vegetables, together with couscous, rice, mashed potato or pasta.