Lions Australia’s Recycle for Sight Australia program sends almost 600,000 pairs of glasses to developing countries every year. This means clearer sight for disadvantaged people and more waste is kept out of landfill. Definitely a win-win situation!
So, how do you donate your specs?
- Some of your local optometrists may have a collection box
- You can also take your pre-loved glasses into your local Specsavers store.
- Find your local Lions Club to see if they have collection points
- Alternatively, donate your glasses at any HCF branch and they will forward them to Lions Recycle for Sight.
- You can also send your glasses to: Reply Paid 3021 Lions Recycle for Sight PO Box 3021 CLONTARF MDC 4019 Please note if you choose to send your glasses to this address, please send them without the case. A little bubble wrap or a padded bag is all you need.
Choose carefully and reduce waste
If your prescription changes, there’s not much you can do about it, but mostly people change their glasses due to fashion trends. The first and most important way to reduce waste from eyewear is to choose the right glasses and make them last.
- Choose quality glasses that will last. They might cost a little extra in the short term, but they will last much longer and won’t have to be replaced – making them cheaper in the long run.
- Avoid fads. Choose glasses that suit your personal style and that you'll love (for a long time) instead of buying into the latest trends.
- Use a glasses case to protect your eyewear when you’re not wearing them. Don’t leave them where they can get scratched, stepped on or sat on!