Choose seeds that flower in Spring or Summer so you don’t have to wait to long to see the results.
You will need:
- 3-4 packets of flower seeds (small seeds work best)
- 3 A4 sheets craft paper – each a different colour
- 3 bowls
- Food processor or blender
- Baking tray covered with baking paper (for drying your seed bombs)
- Tear the paper into roughly 2cm pieces
- Place each colour in a bowl and add enough water to cover the paper and allow to soak for 20 minutes
- Squeeze out the excess water from the paper and place in a food processor or blender. Pulse until the paper turns to pulp, then put the pulp back in the bowl.
- Add one packet of seeds to each colour of paper pulp and mix gently using your hands.
- Take a small amount of the mixture and form into a ball. Continue with each colour – or use a mix of all three colours.
- Put your seed bombs onto a tray lined with baking paper and allow to dry 24-48 hours depending on the size of your seed bombs.
Once dry you are ready to start your bombing mission! You can plant your seed bombs in pots or in your garden beds. A good time is just before rain is expected (or give them a good water afterwards). Just make holes big enough for the size of your bombs and wait for a spring explosion!
Choose your own seed bomb shapes
You can make your seed bombs into different shapes by using a mould to shape them. Follow steps 1-3 but instead of forming into a ball, choose a mould. You could use chocolate moulds, cookie cutters, or ice trays.
- Fill the mould half-way.
- Add a sprinkle of seeds and then top with more pulped paper.
- Allow the bombs to dry 24-48 hours, depending on their size.
Seed bombs make great gifts!