100g caster sugar
175g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground ginger
75g butter, softened
3 tbsp golden syrup
150g icing sugar
3 tsp ground ginger
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line a slice tray (about 20cm x 30cm) with baking paper.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Add the sifted flour, baking powder and ground ginger.
3. Mix until it just comes together to form a dough.
4. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead it until smooth.
5. Press the dough evenly into the prepared tin and bake for 20–25 minutes, until lightly browned.
6. While the base is in the oven, place the topping ingredients together in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth.
7. Spread the ginger topping evenly over the base while it’s still hot.
8. Allow to cool a little and then slice into squares while it's still warm.