Which patio? - Gable versus skillion
There’s nothing nicer than a covered outdoor entertaining area to make the most of your home in summer and winter. But when it comes to the style – do you choose gable or a skillion roof?
When it comes to outdoor roofing options, the choice of gable (pitched) or skillion (flat or slightly angled) can be made for a variety of different reasons.
A skillion roof
- Is the simplest building option and usually more cost-effective.
- Doesn’t involve complicated carpentry.
- Is angled to ensure rain run off without having to add guttering between the patio and the house.
- Can be installed quickly – some skillion patios can be put up in a day.
A gable roof
- Can match the style of your house roof.
- Can be cooler, as the height of the pitch allows more room for warm air to rise.
- Is more expensive than a skillion roof.
- Provides better lighting and ventilation.
- Allows more light and air into your outdoor entertaining area.
- Can be squeezed into narrow space.
If you are thinking of installing a patio before the summer heat arrives, talk to your local patio specialist and they’ll be able to give you advice about the best style for your home and your budget.