Join a local Men’s Shed
Men’s Shed groups are an updated version of the shed in the backyard that has long been a part of Australian culture. Here’s why it’s a great idea to take a look.
Men’s Shed is a community-based, non-profit organisation that welcomes men from all walks of life. They provide a safe and friendly environment where men can get out, make friends in their local community and work on meaningful projects together.
Helping the local community
Men’s sheds offer a variety of activities and provide opportunities to learn something new in a welcoming, fun and non-judgemental atmosphere.
Activities may include:
- Restoring bicycles for local schools
- Making furniture
- Fixing lawnmowers
- Making a cubby house for Camp Quality to raffle
- Making toys for local childcare groups
- Learning first aid
- Health & wellbeing events
You might also see a few young men working with the older men picking up new skills and learning something about life. You will find refreshments and a comfortable area where men can sit and talk about anything. You might also see an area where men can learn to cook for themselves or how to contact their families by computer.
Benefits of going along to your local Men’s Shed include:
- Improved health & wellbeing
- A friendly, safe & happy environment
- Learning new skills & safe working practices
- Mateship at its finest
- Meeting people from all walks of life
- Enjoying a cuppa & a chat
- Making new friends
- Helping local communities
- Absolutely no pressure!
To find your local Men’s Shed, go to: