In Australia, 20 million Christmas gifts are unwanted and around half of them end up in landfill.
A great idea to get away from the Christmas buying frenzy is to organise an op-shop Christmas with your family. Everyone buys second-hand gifts from a charity shop. You can set a price limit or to have a bit more fun, have a competition to see who can get the best value gift for the lowest price.
There are so many great reasons for skipping Christmas gifting hype and buying pre-loved gifts:
- A lot more thought must go into the gift, making it far more personalised.
- You could find something quite unique.
- You will be helping people via the charity shop you choose.
- It’s fun!
- There is much less chance of someone buying the same gift as you!
- You are making an environmentally responsible choice.
10 op-shop gift ideas:
- A DVD of a favourite movie
- Tea pots (along with a box of favourite tea)
- Vintage teacups and saucers
- Cocktail, wine or champagne glasses
- T-shirts and shirts
- A vintage handbag or purse
- A vase (and a bunch of flowers to go in it)
- Board games that you haven’t played since you were kids
- A photo frame with a family photo
- A book by a favourite author