You can make it by yourself, teach your kids the art of preserving, or invite some of your friends and neighbours over for a marmalade-making get-together.
Easy marmalade recipe
- 1.2 kg oranges (or any citrus fruit) scrubbed clean, thinly sliced
- 8 cups water
- 8 cups (approx.) white sugar
- Place orange slices into a large glass or ceramic bowl and pour over the water. Leave to stand overnight.
- Transfer to a large saucepan and bring to the boil over a medium heat
- Simmer for an hour over a low heat (or until reduced by a third)
- Cool slightly and measure the orange mixture in cups
- Add 1 cup of sugar per cup of orange mixture
- Stir over a low heat until the sugar dissolves then increase the heat until the mixture is boiling
- Cook for 45 minutes (you can skim any froth from the surface with a metal spoon)
- Spoon the mixture into warm, sterilised* jars while hot
*Wash jars in hot soapy water then put them on an oven tray and ‘bake’ at 100C fan-forced until they are dry.
Tangy & delicious lemon curd in 4 easy steps
If you fancy something a bit different, try our simple lemon curd recipe. It makes a great filling for cakes and muffins and is delicious spread on scones or bread.
- In a saucepan, whisk together 2 eggs, 2 egg yolks and 165g caster sugar until smooth
- Place pan over a low heat and add 80g butter and the zest and juice of 2 lemons
- Whisk until thickened
- Strain through a sieve (to remove the zest) into a sterilised jar.
Lemon curd will keep in the fridge for 2 weeks