12 ideas for cake stall success
- Create some simple flyers and put them in the mailboxes of your surrounding streets. Include your address along with the date and time you will start selling your cakes.
- Plan what you are going to make well-ahead of time and make sure you have all the ingredients. Traditional cakes, biscuits, brownies and slices always sell well.
- Don’t go mad and make too much – it’s better to sell out than to have lots left over.
- Make sure you have a table to display your cakes – you also can decorate it to make it stand out.
- Put your stall on your driveway rather than blocking the pavement.
- Display a few of each type of cake/cupcake/biscuit and keep ‘refills’ cool inside your house.
- Have plenty of tongs or gloves handy so you are not touching the cakes – and paper bags to put the cakes in.
- Make sure you have lots of change for your customers.
- Keep the prices reasonable and display them clearly. List all the ingredients in each item.
- Don’t use anything that can spoil if it’s a hot day (such as cream).
Try this super simple, egg-free chocolate cupcake recipe
- 1½ cups self-raising flour
- 3 tbs cocoa powder
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbs white vinegar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix until smooth
- Pour into a cupcake tin lined with paper cupcake cases
- Bake 35-40 mins.
You can add choc chips, berries or anything else that takes your fancy!