When should you call the SES? A quick guide

Fence damaged by a fallen tree? Not a job for the SES. A fallen tree through your roof? Give them a call. To clear things up, we’ve got the do’s and don’ts of calling the State Emergency Service to help out.

November 18, 2021

Your knights in shining armour

The SES is a volunteer division of the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES). When a natural disaster strikes or an emergency arises, SES volunteers come to the rescue by providing a wide range of volunteer services to help the community cope with the impact of a disaster.

The SES can help you with:

  • Significant structural damage like collapsed roofs or ceilings
  • Making temporary emergency repairs to homes and buildings
  • Removing fallen trees that have damaged homes and cars
  • Sandbagging areas in danger of flooding
  • Pumping out flood water
  • Rescuing trapped or injured people, and helping people relocate if they are in danger

The SES cannot help you with:

  • Clearing debris and organising permanent repairs
  • Attending to broken fences, trees that have fallen on fences or if there is debris around your property or in your pool
  • Basic repairs that you can manage yourself

Always call triple zero (000) for fire and life-threatening emergencies.

How to call the SES

Call 132 500

There can be a high level of demand, so when you call, you must be patient and be prepared to wait.  

  • Speak slowly and clearly
  • Tell them exactly where to come
  • All requests are prioritised by urgency
  • Major structural damage will be attended to first
  • Avoid clogging up emergency hotlines with unrelated requests
Source: https://www.dfes.wa.gov.au/

Community Tips