Talk to your kids before you go shopping. A good guide is to get them to choose a gift for a child the same age as they are. Ask them to think about what sort of thing they might like and why. This gives your child a chance to think about others during the festive season.
Here are some hints for buying a gift:
- Sporting equipment
- Art & craft supplies
- Soft toys
- Building blocks
Giving to strangers benefits everyone:
- It is helping someone else who has less
- The person gifting feels happier
- Helping others is contagious
- Giving promotes kindness & social connection
6 more ways to show your children how they can make a difference to others at Christmas.
- Make cards with your kids and give them to your neighbours.
- Sponsor a child – there are many charities both here and overseas.
- Have a baking session with your kids and deliver some goodies to people in your street.
- Make a charity donation in the name of a family member as a Christmas gift.
- Volunteer with a charity over the festive season.
- Invite a neighbour who is alone at Christmas to join you for lunch.