9 tips for success on the big day
- Wait until everything is ready before you put out your signage.
- Make it easy for buyers who are looking for specific items by grouping similar goods together such as crockery, clothes and books.
- Put a price on everything and don’t price yourself out of a sale.
- Offer discounts for bundled purchases.
- Display fragile or expensive items out of reach of children.
- Run an extension cord out to your sale area for people to check electrical items.
- Provide a changing area and a mirror for people to try on clothing.
- Consider a ‘Free’ box for items that are of little or no value.
- Remove posters and direction signs as soon as possible once your garage sale is over.
Plan, plan, plan
- Get your neighbours to join up to the Garage Sale Trail; multiple sales on one street will attract more buyers.
- Give yourself enough time to get organised. Be sure to have enough items to make your sale worthwhile for visitors.
- Ensure you have enough tables and clothes racks. Items on tables are more likely to be picked up and bought than items on the floor.
- Make sure all sale items are clean.
- Collect plastic bags for people to put their purchases in as well as old newspaper or recycled bubble wrap for wrapping fragile items.
- Make sure you have LOTS of change, a money belt and a calculator ready for the big day.